Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure (OS: Oracle Linux 6.4 Prodcut: Oracle Grid Infrastructure)
Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #591439] Sun, 28 July 2013 19:46 Go to next message
Robs58
Greetings To All!

I have been spending the better part of this weekend trying (without any real progress) to install the Oracle Grid Infrastructure on my home PC as a precursor to later installing Oracle 11g Enterprise Database...

The problem I am having is that I cannot seem to get the runInstaller command to execute. I am trying to run this (the runInstaller command) from DVD installation media installed in the DVD drive. The drive is mounted and I am able to successfully access the files in the mount point; but for whatever reason, the runInstaller command will not execute.

Please note that I am logged in as user oracle (as required). I even tried to change the permissions on the runInstaller file so that I could execute the command and the OS would not even allow me to change permissions on the file. I am sure the solution is something probably very simple...but what? Any ideas? Please see down below the commands I ran and their results. Thanks! Rob

oracle@new-host-3 grid]$ whoami
oracle
[oracle@new-host-3 grid]$

[oracle@new-host-3 grid]$ pwd
/media/disk/grid #/media/disk/grid is the DVD drive mount point

[oracle@new-host-3 grid]$ ls -l
total 26
dr-x------. 9 oracle oinstall 620 Jul 20 21:02 doc
dr-x------. 4 oracle oinstall 888 Jul 20 21:02 install
dr-x------. 2 oracle oinstall 112 Jul 20 21:02 response
dr-x------. 2 oracle oinstall 120 Jul 20 21:02 rpm
-r--------. 1 oracle oinstall 3795 Jan 28 2009 runcluvfy.sh
-r--------. 1 oracle oinstall 3227 Aug 15 2009 runInstaller #note that file permission is set to read only
dr-x------. 2 oracle oinstall 112 Jul 20 21:02 sshsetup
dr-x------. 14 oracle oinstall 2040 Jul 20 21:02 stage
-r--------. 1 oracle oinstall 4228 Aug 17 2009 welcome.html

[oracle@new-host-3 grid]$ ./runInstaller
bash: ./runInstaller: Permission denied

[oracle@new-host-3 grid]$ chmod 700 runInstaller
chmod: changing permissions of `runInstaller': Read-only file system #am unable to change permission on runinstaller to execute

Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #591440 is a reply to message #591439] Sun, 28 July 2013 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
I am curious as to from where did you obtain this DVD.
AFAIK, Oracle no longer provides physical distribution media

Grid is NOT required to install or use Oracle RDBMS.

consider to copy the contents of the DVD onto hard disk, change the file protection mask, then invoke ./runInstaller
Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #591441 is a reply to message #591440] Sun, 28 July 2013 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robs58
I downloaded the Oracle Infrastructure Installations bits onto DVD from the Oracle Software distribution cloud.

Yes, you are correct that installing the grid component is not essential for running Oracle RDBMS; however, the Oracle
classes I am currently enrolled in stronly recommend that the grid component be installed prior to installing the Oracle 11G database because it allows us to learn ASM and Oracle restart, which seems to be the way of the future.
Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #591442 is a reply to message #591441] Sun, 28 July 2013 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I downloaded the Oracle Infrastructure Installations bits onto DVD
we have met the enemy & they is US!

./runInstaller can only be invoked when OS file permission mask indicates that it can be executed.
Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #591457 is a reply to message #591441] Mon, 29 July 2013 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
It looks as though whatever software you used to burn the DVD stuffed up. Throw it away, expand the ZIPs into a directory on an ordinary file system, and you should be fine.
Incidentally, if you want to follow what they call "best practice", you should not install GI as oracle. Create another OS user, call him grid, who will install GI.
Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #591527 is a reply to message #591457] Mon, 29 July 2013 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robs58
I apppreciate you guys working with me; am totally new to Oracle but not new to IT; I'm taking Oracle classes to come up to speed; so far have completed SQL class and both 11g classes (DBA 1 and 2). Installed Oracle Linux 6.4 on a x86_64 PC at home and as you can see, I'm struggling a bit to make it all work. Thanks for all of the good tips and advice!

BlackSwan:

<./runInstaller can only be invoked when OS file permission mask indicates that it can be executed.

yeah,I pretty much came to that conclusion after having seen several postings and realizing that the permissions were set to read only. Thus, the problem then became how
to change the permisson on runInstaller to 'execute', which, it appears as though I am going to have to copy the files over to a local filesystem on local disk in order to do that

John Watson:

<It looks as though whatever software you used to burn the DVD stuffed up.

Am not sure how the software copied to the disk could be jacked up; it appears as though the software copied/burned okay to disk because all of the bits appear to be there; the problem seems to be with the fact that I am unable to change the permission from read only to execute of runInstaller which does reside on the mounted DVD. Am not saying you are wrong at all; am I missing something here? I'm learning...and this is how to learn....explore and ask questions...I deeply appreciate the comments and mentoring!

All the best,

Rob S.
Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #591542 is a reply to message #591527] Mon, 29 July 2013 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Robs58 wrote on Mon, 29 July 2013 15:41
Am not sure how the software copied to the disk could be jacked up; it appears as though the software copied/burned okay to disk because all of the bits appear to be there; the problem seems to be with the fact that I am unable to change the permission from read only to execute of runInstaller which does reside on the mounted DVD. Am not saying you are wrong at all; am I missing something here? I'm learning...and this is how to learn....explore and ask questions...I deeply appreciate the comments and mentoring!

Well, the most interesting part here would be what sort of FILESYSTEM the software created. A CD / DVD can be ISO 9660, Joliet, or UDF. As far as I know, only UDF can store "Unix permissions" correctly.

And of course you can't change any permissions once the disk is burned.

Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #591714 is a reply to message #591527] Wed, 31 July 2013 03:22 Go to previous message
gazzag
Robs58 wrote on Mon, 29 July 2013 13:41
the problem seems to be with the fact that I am unable to change the permission from read only to execute of runInstaller which does reside on the mounted DVD.

That is exactly your problem, Rob. The DVD has been burned; it is now read-only. As others have said, copy the entire DVD to a file-system on your server then set the permissions accordingly. Logging in as oracle and executing the following should do it:

$ cd <copied_software_directory>
$ chmod u+x runInstaller

---
Update: split following messages to http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/188940/148813/
JW.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 August 2013 04:17] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: CTSS is not working properly on RAC 11r2
Next Topic: export script doesn't make gzip of dmp file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:03:42 CDT 2024