Home » Open Source » MySQL » MySQL text book ( Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.6.32, for Linux (x86_64) )
MySQL text book [message #658857] Wed, 28 December 2016 09:55 Go to next message
John Watson
The Oracle OVM Manager no longer uses an Oracle database for its repository, MySQL is the only supported option. So I'm going to have to learn a bit of MySQL admin. Just what I've always wanted to do Sad

Can anyone recommend a book? This is the version installed with OVM 3.4.2,
[oracle@ovmmanager1 ~]$ mysql -V
mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.6.32, for Linux (x86_64) using  EditLine wrapper
[oracle@ovmmanager1 ~]$

Re: MySQL text book [message #658862 is a reply to message #658857] Wed, 28 December 2016 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rc3d
I recommend MySQL (Developer's Library) by Paul DuBois. This is a classic book for the Oracle MySQL. The last part of the book is about administration.

I guess most (much more than me as I switched two years ago Wink) stuff you know already, with Oracle background it's simple to learn MariaDB/MySQL, but quite difficult to learn distributed data store (NoSQL) like MongoDB. Good luck and have a lot of fun with modern and new database systems.

After the Paul DuBois I recommend Mastering MariaDB (also to broaden your horizon with MariaDB)- ISBN-13: 978-1783981540
Re: MySQL text book [message #658870 is a reply to message #658862] Thu, 29 December 2016 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
THank you, I'll look at those. Overall, I am disappointed: I can't find one book on MySQL DB admin. A typical book has a dozen chapters teaching SQL, and then one or two on admin. In the Oracle world, it is usually assumed that you know SQL backwards before looking at admin work. Possiblys administering MySQL is sufficiently trivial that it really doesn't require any significant learning. I hope so! The OVM install includes MySQL, creates the database, and sets up some sort of backup routine. THe database won't be very big or very active, so perhaps that is enough.
Re: MySQL text book [message #658897 is a reply to message #658870] Thu, 29 December 2016 12:36 Go to previous message
rc3d
John Watson wrote on Thu, 29 December 2016 02:07
In the Oracle world, it is usually assumed that you know SQL backwards before looking at admin work. Possiblys administering MySQL is sufficiently trivial that it really doesn't require any significant learning. I hope so!
That's true. MySQL/MariaDB is typical deployed in Cloud (DBaaS). The MySQL admin doesn't necessary knows all deep SQL stuff, this is the developers job. The MySQL DBA offers less service to customer, than the Oracle DBA.

The only thing the MySQL DBA has more skills is Linux, Automation and Open Source (modern system administration). In Oracle world that would do other department or team.

Yes MySQL is simpler and less powerful than Oracle ($$$).

[Updated on: Thu, 29 December 2016 12:39]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: select statement as per the columns label
Next Topic: Connecting to MSSQL server via php-pdo?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:17:45 CDT 2024