Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » comparing backup software
comparing backup software [message #113849] Mon, 05 August 2002 12:39 Go to next message
Sara Johnson
Our company outsourced its mainframe software support several years ago and is currently using CA-DISK (formerly SAMS-DISK) to backup the IDMS databases and the production flat files. We are considering switching to DFDSS or FDR and would be interested in the comments from anyone who has used these 3 products.
I am the DBA and have recently been assigned to support all the mainframe software following the loss of our IBM person. I have become very comfortable with DMS but it does have one very real shortcoming: in a recovery situation it will not dynamically allocate a tape that is not also known to the tape management catalog. We recently experienced problems of this nature during a DR test and this does not bode well for what would happen during a real disaster. Our outsourcer does not advise rolling the TMC forward and they do full-volume backups once a week. Our IDMS databases live on dedicated packs and get backed up 3 times weekly but all out flat files and user-owned data sets live on shared DASD and could be as much as 6 days old if disaster strikes.
I have used FDR but it has been several years ago now and I really know nothing about DFDSS. Is it true it does not have any reporting capability as I have heard ?
Any comments will be really appreciated. Thanks.
Re: comparing backup software [message #113858 is a reply to message #113849] Tue, 27 August 2002 14:06 Go to previous message
George Soley
DFDSS itself does not have much in the way of reporting since it is designed to primarily move data. You would have to use other IBM utilities such as ISMF to extract DASD and dataset information. FDR is more of a "complete" package with a separate reporting module. If you are familiar with FDR then you will have no problem using DFDSS since the parameters are quite similar.

Why does your outsourcer not recommend rolling the TMC forward?
Previous Topic: Re: Problems in Developer 2000 with Oracle 8.
Next Topic: How to separate attachment from the email
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:42:26 CDT 2024