Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Ebtables firewall!!
Ebtables firewall!! [message #114894] Wed, 06 April 2005 02:54 Go to next message
vishamr2000
Hi to all,

I wanted to know abt the following:

do we always have to set up ebtables as a bridge or bridge router to be able to use ebtables commands. Is it possible to have only a normal firewall using ebtables (just like with iptables). It's just that almost all examples I've come across talk abt building only bridges, bridgefirewalls or bridge routers. I just need a confirmation of this.

Also, I want to make the packets move from the link layer right after ebtables NAT PREROUTING to iptables. I have not set up my PC as a bridge or bridge router.. I just want to set up a normal firewall that makes use of both ebtables and iptables.

How do i go about it? do i use br-nf code?

Thx in advance..

Best regards,
Visham Ramsurrun
Re: Ebtables firewall!! [message #115205 is a reply to message #114894] Fri, 08 April 2005 02:48 Go to previous message
vishamr2000
I'll got the required info from Mr. Ralf Spenneberg (ah!!..great man). So i'll share it with all of you.
do we always have to set up ebtables as a bridge or bridge router to be able to use ebtables commands. Is it possible to have only a normal firewall using ebtables (just like with iptables).

Yes..it's possible to have a layer 2 firewall using ebtables rules alone.

Also, I want to make the packets move from the link layer right after ebtables NAT PREROUTING to iptables. I have not set up my PC as a bridge or bridge router.. I just want to set up a normal firewall that makes use of both ebtables and iptables.
How do i go about it? do i use br-nf code?

Yes.. ebtables and iptables rules can both be written in a single script, as we normally do with iptables firewall script.

Regards,
Visham
Previous Topic: Oracle 10g on FC2 - background processes: oracle.bin
Next Topic: How to install Oracle Developer Suite 9.0.2.0.0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:53:57 CDT 2024