Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » Oracle VMS Client under HP-UX Server
Oracle VMS Client under HP-UX Server [message #120221] Wed, 18 May 2005 09:22 Go to next message
Kiyomori
Hi !

My question is this...

I know that you can access an Oracle database running under HP-UX from VMS but...

The software in question would be VMS Cobol. Would it be necessary to invoke the TCP-IP routines in VMS ? Could an Oracle client simply be installed on VMS ? Could the Cobol instructions that access Oracle/RDB running under VMS be used in this case or would SQL strings have to be passed ?
Re: Oracle VMS Client under HP-UX Server [message #122927 is a reply to message #120221] Thu, 09 June 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Hartley

Hi,

I don't think Oracle support DECNET as a network connection protocol any more, so you would have to start and configure the TCP/IP services on VMS.

Installing 9i on VMS is very similar to Unix/MS these days, so delivering a client only installation on VMS is quite easy. You will need to have the VMS Xwindows running.

When a ProCobol appliciation executes it actually interfaces with the database via OCI, so that answer to your question is yes the SQL strings will be passed from the application to the remote database.

Kind regards

Michael Hartley http://www.openfieldsolutions.co.uk
Re: Oracle VMS Client under HP-UX Server [message #123066 is a reply to message #122927] Thu, 09 June 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kiyomori
Thank you very much for your answer.

My question is this.

Would use of TCP/IP involve programmatically invoking the TCP/IP routines in VMS or can I just have a TNSNAMES.ORA in VMS that points everything in the right direction ?

Would it be better to use SQL or DBMS routines ?

Can an Oracle/CDD Repository see a database residing on HP-UX ? I notice that the Repository demands Unix strings as file specifications.

Thanks,

Kiyomori
Re: Oracle VMS Client under HP-UX Server [message #123073 is a reply to message #123066] Thu, 09 June 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Hartley

Hi,

On the vms client you need to have the TCP/IP protocol installed and running correctly in a fully configured manner.

You should be able to telnet or ping the Oracle database server. Ideally you will have DNS forwarding enabled or be managing the hosts files for name resolution, rather than using IP addresses.

You will need to configure the Oracle client tnsnames.ora file on the vms client. When this file is correctly configured you will be able to sqlplus onto the remote Oracle database.

Finally, for performance and code maintenance reasons it makes a lot of sense to use stored procedures/function etc on the database rather than embed the backend logic in the application.

Kind regards,
Michael Hartley, http://www.openfieldsolutions.co.uk
Re: Oracle VMS Client under HP-UX Server [message #123077 is a reply to message #122927] Thu, 09 June 2005 15:56 Go to previous message
Kiyomori
Thank you very much for your help.

Some other things I am wondering...

Can an Oracle CDD/Repository on VMS see a database residing on HP-UX ? I notice that CDD/Repository asks for Unix-style file specifications.

Can DBMS routines be used for a database residing on HP-UX ?

Will it be necessary to invoke TCP-IP routines or can TNSNAMES.ORA under VMS point to the correct databases ?

Thanks
Previous Topic: RMS RECORD VARIANT to oracle table
Next Topic: Mounting an Optical Disk
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:09:38 CDT 2024