Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Cannot open DB in exclusive mode
Cannot open DB in exclusive mode [message #134784] Fri, 26 August 2005 22:38 Go to next message
oracledbanewbie
Hi all,
I am new to Oracle DBA. Please excuse me if I am not clear in my question and I do not have the exact error number .
I have installed oracle 9iR2 on RedHat linux 9.0. I created a second database on the same machine today with a new init file, tablespaces, datafiles,controlfiles and redo logs. I believe Oracle allows to run multiple databases on a single system as long as each instance is dedicated to a different physical database.
But whenever I am trying to start the second one, I get an error that DB cannot be opened in exclusive mode. After reading through some forums, I finally shutdown one DB and disabled one ORACLE_SID in .bash_profile. So it effectively meant I am able to run only one DB at a time on my machine. What are the additional settings I need to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

-Anand
Re: Cannot open DB in exclusive mode [message #134790 is a reply to message #134784] Sat, 27 August 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Use one DB with the help of ORACLE_SID and use the other with the help of Oracle services. For instance u hav 2 DB testdb1 and testdb2 and ur SID is set to testdb1, so when u

>> conn sys/passwd as sysdba

then it will connect to testdb1 and when u

>> conn sys/passwd@testdb2_srvc as sysdba

then it will connect to testdb2.

For achieving that u just need to create a service for second database i.e. testdb2. U can easily do it using Net Manager.

regards,
tarun
Re: Cannot open DB in exclusive mode [message #135070 is a reply to message #134790] Mon, 29 August 2005 15:05 Go to previous message
oracledbanewbie
Hi Tarun,
That works. Thank you very much for the timely help.

-Anand
Previous Topic: creating multiple databases...?
Next Topic: Oracle10g (10.2.0.1) ASM database installation on RHEL AS 4
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:26:17 CDT 2024