Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Next topic with moved topics
Next topic with moved topics [message #142274] Fri, 14 October 2005 01:02 Go to next message
Frank
Hi,

I use the Next topic/Previous topic browsing links at the bottom of a topic's page to navigate through the topics in a forum. When a topic is moved by a moderator, the links do not get updated, taking me to another forum. The links in the topic I opened, point to the next and previous topic in the new forum though, so I lose track of my original forum.

Thanks for all the effort,
Frank
Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #142426 is a reply to message #142274] Fri, 14 October 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Not sure I understand the problem.

I've just created this message and moved it to the test forum. As one would expect, the "Previous Topic:" link now points to the previous message in the test forum.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #142433 is a reply to message #142426] Fri, 14 October 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Suppose you're browsing the suggestion forum.
If you select this message and click the Next topic, you are taken to the Test forum.
The only way to get back to the suggestions forum is to open the forum-list.

Hope this clearer now.

Frank
Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #143556 is a reply to message #142433] Thu, 20 October 2005 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I know what you mean. Many times I have been happily browsing along from one message to the next using the links in the lower right-hand corner. After a while, I start to notice that the questions seem like they belong in another forum or look like ones that I already read in another forum. Eventually it dawns on me that one of them must have been moved from the forum that I started in and I check and confirm that I am now in a different forum. Then, I have to go back to the other forum and resume where I left off. One workaround is to use the browser's back arrow to go back to the list of questions, after reading each question, but then it is two clicks instead of one, to get to the next question. Can it be made so that the next topic and previous topic links skip topics that have been moved to other forums? Or will we just have to settle for two clicks or pay closer attention to where we are?

Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #144972 is a reply to message #143556] Sun, 30 October 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Problem fixed.
Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #144986 is a reply to message #144972] Sun, 30 October 2005 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Excellent! Thank you very much.
Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #145003 is a reply to message #144986] Mon, 31 October 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Great. Thank you Frank!

Frank

Edit: Noticed some strange behaviour: look at the prev from this post. It seems to link to the previous based on the OP's date/time.

btw noticed an error when using the webbased newsreader too:
"Error:

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/usenet/now/newsportal.php on line 48

The connection to the Newsserver failed"

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2005 02:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #145086 is a reply to message #145003] Mon, 31 October 2005 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
It looks like the next topic works fine, but I don't know what the previous topic is doing. I usually just browse in one direction, so I only use the next topic, so I didn't test the previous topic, until you mentioned the problem.

This forum's next topic and previous topic are also backwards from most other forums. If you look at the list of threads, top to bottom, in the same manner that you would ordered rows from a sql query, the previous row would be the one above the current row, as you would get with the lag analytic function and the next row would be the one below the current row, as you would get with the lead analytic function. However, if you just look at it chronologically, then the next (newer) topic should be the row above, as it currently is and the previous (older) topic should be the row below. The way it is now probably makes more sense. It is just a little confusing when you browse other forums and you are trying to remember which way is up.

Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #145232 is a reply to message #145003] Tue, 01 November 2005 19:41 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
I just got a weird result with the next topic from this thread:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/54390/43710/

The next one up the page was a moved thread, so the next topic should have pointed to the one above that, but instead it pointed to the sticky at the top of the forum. Thus far I don't see any identifiable pattern as to what it is doing.

Previous Topic: Unanswered Messages facility
Next Topic: How to unsubscribe a forum please?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:43:19 CDT 2024