Home » Infrastructure » Linux » connect to linux
connect to linux [message #161459] Sat, 04 March 2006 12:08 Go to next message
new_developer
Hi,

I am new to this message board and new to Linux. Actually, what I am doing is connecting to an Oracle database through an SSH client. Now what I would like to do is my local copy of PLSQL Developer (on my windows XP laptop) to point to that Oracle databse on the Linux server with SSH and I have no idea where to begin. I was told to use port 1521 on SSH and point to my local host????

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
K
Re: connect to linux [message #161467 is a reply to message #161459] Sun, 05 March 2006 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
You need to configure your tnsnames.ora file.

click on:start->program->oracle-orahome92(or some other)->configuration and migration tool->Net configuration assistant.

once this net config assistant window comes,choose Local Net Service Name Configuration (3rd radio button),click next.
Click on the "Add" button, click next,
Click on the "Oracle 8i or later" and click next,
Enter the name of the database in the next text box,click next,
select TCP,click next,
give host name of linux server(or -if not available then its ip address)
click on yes, perform test..and it should succeed. if it does not, try to change the login and check username and password.

this all is related to configuring your tnsnames.ora file.

Re: connect to linux [message #161485 is a reply to message #161467] Sun, 05 March 2006 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
new_developer
Hi - thanks for the reply. I did set up my tnsnames.ora but I either get an ora-12170 or ora-12154.

Here is what I've got:
dbsname =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = hostname)
(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = dbsname)
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
)
)

I tried pinging the hostname and ipaddress but when I do I get a 'Request timed out' message. Should I be able to ping the host from my local machine?

Thanks,
K

[Updated on: Sun, 05 March 2006 07:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: connect to linux [message #161543 is a reply to message #161485] Mon, 06 March 2006 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
You MUST be able to ping the server..otherwise oracle client will not be able to connect..so please sort out that issue.
Re: connect to linux [message #167386 is a reply to message #161485] Wed, 12 April 2006 15:26 Go to previous message
adrianp
You should know that Oracle and SSH are using two different network ports, so they have "parralel" lives, i.e. you simply cannot use Oracle on top of an SSH session. Just by mentioning SSH, leads me to believe that there are some security requirements with your server.

Ping not responding: assuming that you've got the server's IP address right, depending on your LAN security policy, the Sys Admin might have disabled the ping-reply feature.

Enter SSH. You could try using SSH to access the server if you know its IP address (you can try by name, but both your XP and the Linux server will have to be registered on the same domain ). For SSH to work, you'll need a user name and a password from your Sys Admin person. What SSH will give you is a good-ol' ASCII terminal so you can use SQLPLUS directly on the server (nothing to do with your PLSQL Developer software on your XP).

Adrian
Previous Topic: ORA-01967: invalid option for create controlfile
Next Topic: cant run my code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:27:07 CDT 2024